Microsoft Corporation Data & Applied Scientist 2 in Vancouver, British Columbia
Are you passionate about building best image search and recommendation experience on the web and deliver the most relevant and enjoyable image content to billions of internet users? Do you want to work with a group of talented data and applied scientists and distributed system engineers to grow your experience/career in a wide range of areas including computer vision, natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, big data mining, and information retrieval etc? If so, this data and applied scientist position on Bing image index quality team may be a great fit for you!
The Bing image index quality team owns the index behind Bing image search and recommendation experience, which consists of hundreds of billions of images and pages. We leverage advanced technology in machine learning and big data processing to ensure the comprehensives, richness, cleanness and freshness of the index, to empower scenarios such as search and recommendation. It is more than just finding images on the internet – it’s about training sophisticated machine learning models to drive discovery, selection, and ranking of images, using deep learnings to understand the pages and images, taking advantage of big data and signals from millions of people across the web. Machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision, big data mining and information retrieval - it’s all part of the job. You will not only train the model, but also build the data pipelines from end to end, including data collection and analysis, model training and deployment, and building the data pipelines. It is a cross area of system engineering and AI.
The Bing image index quality team is looking for a talented data and applied scientist to help us deliver our next generation of image index. Qualified applicants should have a strong machine learning background, excellent coding skills, and a MS or higher degree in computer science or a related field. We are looking for a self-motivated and passionate individual who is interested in applying machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision and data mining to help us build the best image index on the web and make an impact on millions of users. You should have strong technical skills and be able to apply research concepts in new and innovative ways.
This is a fun and fast paced environment, where developers are empowered to innovate. This is a great opportunity to work on something highly strategic to Microsoft, and an opportunity to directly impact millions of users in an exciting area.
As data and applied scientist, you will have wide range of responsibilities and opportunities to learn and make impact, which includes but not limited to
• Analyze the problem through all data available to you including large scale crawled data and user engagement data etc.
• Define problem and metrics to address various problems include comprehensiveness, richness, freshness, cleanness of the index, as well as topic authority and relevance in search and recommendation scenarios.
• Define engineer life cycle and drive project forwards through iterative releases
• Deliver results through drive the projects end to end, not limited to model training, but also including building data pipelines and integrating with engineering systems.
• Collaborate with other data & applied scientist as well as distributed system engineer and program manager
• Proactively seeks mentorship from others
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or related field
• 2+ years of experience with general purpose programming language (C/C++/C#/Java/Python etc.)
• 2+ years of experience in the areas of machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval, natural language processing or data mining
• Good communication skills and ability to work in collaborative environment
• Good design and problem-solving skills and an ability to innovate and solve challenging technical problems
• Passion and self-motivated
• Embrace engineering excellence and delivering quality results at scale, end-to-end, including date collection and analysis, model training and deployment, and building data pipelines.
• Ph.D. preferred
• Strong machine learning / computer vision / natural language processing experience and results in academy or industry. Publications in major ML/IR/NLP/CV conferences. Examples: ICML, NIPS, SIGIR, ACL, EMNLP, CVPR, KDD
• Experience in open source (spark, hbase, hadoop etc) or microsoft internal tech (cosmos, autopilot, azure) are big plus as most of our project/scenario is across system and AI areas
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.