Northwell Health Patient Care Associate in Valley Stream, New York
Req Number 40347
Under direction and supervision of Registered Nurse, assists patients with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care, and performs a variety of procedures, exams and tests. Assists in maintenance of a safe and clean environment, and promotes improved customer relations.
- Functions as a key member of the nursing care team participating in the implementation of the patient's plan of care.
- Promotes improved customer relations with patients and their families. Makes recommendations for improved patient care and the promotion and maintenance of a safe, cost-effective health-care environment.
- Assists the nurse in providing for all ADL (activities of daily living) needs of patients. Communicates and documents patient status.
- Assists the nurse and other health team members by performing a variety of procedures, exams, tests, treatments and clerical duties as required by the unit. Communicates and documents all pertinent data.
- Maintains non-patient and patient care units in a neat and orderly condition; strips patient units upon discharge and prepares rooms for new admissions; maintains necessary stock on all procedure and supply carts; and ensures that all equipment is clean and in its appropriate place.
- Transports/accompanies patients to various departments, as directed; performs post-mortem care and transports body to morgue.
- Utilizes proper isolation techniques and established safety, waste disposal and infection control procedures at all times. Follows Medical Center's policies and procedures supporting quality assurance efforts in-patient care services.
- Participates in various continuing education programs, surveys, and attends staff meetings, as directed.
- Accesses medication delivery and/or medication areas, as authorized, in the performance of required duties, as needed.
Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
Successful completion of a NYS Certified Nursing Attendant program, required OR completion of one year clinical course work actively pursuing RN degree. AND Must pass Long Island Jewish Valley Stream Patient Care Associate's competency test prior to entering training program
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Must pass Long Island Jewish Medical Center training program within the normal probationary period.
Heart Saver Certification, preferred.
Demonstrated competency in at least one of the following; EKG testing or venipuncture procedure, preferred.
Ability to communicate effectively and follow written and/or oral instructions. Demonstrated competency in basic mathematics
Ability to operate all medical equipment necessary to perform job duties.
Ability to lift, turn, position, move and restrain patients as required.