Kaiser Permanente Orthopedic Technician I in Stockton, California
The Orthopedic Technician is a specifically trained allied health care individual who assists all heath care professionals in the practice of medicine. An Orthopedic Technician is an extension of the Orthopedic Surgeon and assists in the care of sick and disabled persons. Orthopedic Technicians need the ability to relate well to other people, be considerate of their conditions, and able to communicate with patients in understanding their anxieties and fears. The Orthopedic Technologist shall provide consultation, evaluation, treatment, and preventative care in accordance with the laws and regulations of the jurisdiction they practice. This classification applies to entry level Orthopedic Technicians who have documented graduation from an Orthopedic Technician training program and who do not meet the requirements of Orthopedic Technician II.
• Applies, adjusts, and removes casts, assembles traction apparatus, and fits strappings and splints for orthopedic patients by performing duties that may include, but are not exclusive to:
• Covers injured areas with specified protective materials such as stockinette bandages, gauze, or rubber pads, preparatory to cast application. Understands and utilizes the proper application of aseptic techniques in dressing changes and setting up surgical fields.
• Wets, wraps, and molds plaster bandages around area of fracture.
• Assists Orthopedic Surgeons in reduction of fractures.
• Trims plaster.
• Removes whole and broken casts and alters position of cast to change setting of patients limb or body part as directed.
• Assembles wooden, metal, plastic, or plaster material to make orthopedic splints.
• Rigs pulleys, ropes, and frames to assemble fracture beds.
• Attaches traction supports to patients limb and adjusts support to specified tension.
• Assembles exercise frames.
• Adjusts crutches, canes, braces, and splints to fit patient.
• Responsible for suture removal, staple removal, and dressing changes including una boot application.
• Secures provider order before providing care.
• Instructs patients in care of and assists patients in walking with casts, braces, crutches, and other Ortho apparatus and supplies as ordered.
• Documents interventions in the medical record.
• Responsible for maintaining supplies in cast room and treatment rooms, to include ordering and stocking materials.
• Assist in making follow-up appointments and consultation appointments with specialists for patients.
• Follow-up with clinical patients, (calling patients and having follow-up visit with Orthopedic Technician).
• Serve as technical advisor to the hospital staff in matters pertaining to orthopedic devices and equipment.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Job Grade: 465
Zero (0) to two (2) years of Orthopedic Technician experience.
Experience in automated clinical information systems preferred.
High School Diploma/GED.
Documented graduation from an Orthopedic Technician training program.
Computer literate preferred.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
TITLE: Orthopedic Technician I
LOCATION: Stockton, California
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.