Cisco Electrical Product Engineer in San Jose, California
What You’ll Do
The Cisco 8000 product Ops team is looking for a motivated and experienced individual to provide electrical product engineering support for new and sustaining products. You'll be responsible for products’ cost and quality from New Product Introduction (NPI) to End of Life (EOL).
As the Electrical Product Engineer you will provide new product and ongoing engineering (including DFM) for a specific product or group of products from pre-concept commit through EOL. For new products, you will collaborate with design (hardware and mechanical), process, test and reliability engineering to tackle problems and ensure cost avoidance and quality at FCS. For sustaining products, you will focus on cost reduction and design related yield improvements.
High Level Responsibilities:
- Provide new product introduction support for ongoing engineering from pre-concept commit through EOL
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders in development of processes, technology to support new product development
- BOM structuring and BOM risk Management
- Collaborate with design (hardware and mechanical) team for Dfx issues and ensure that they are resolved prior to release of the product.
- Drive and participate in design and manufacturing FMEA
- Provide leadership in driving the product quality issues in NPI and sustaining
- Value engineering and cost avoidance (pre-production release) - Engage early with Component Engineering, T&Q, GSM and Hardware engineering and influence on component selection, process efficiency, and design changes
- Design lab experimentation/debug (proficiency continuum)/DOE/EFA
- Assessing CM and supply chain technical capability gaps
- Crafting, analyzing, and releasing product documentation
- Technical lifecycle management (defect reduction team participation, new component qualification, etc)
- Design diagnostic analysis and input/influence
- Debug and board bring up
- Leadership and direction of complex issue resolution
Who You'll Work With
You will be working closely with HW Engineering, Product Ops team, GSM, Mfg Ops and EMS partners.
Who You Are
You will have good analytics, decision-making and strong communication skills to influence others.
Our Minimum Qualifications for This Role
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent plus 10+ years related experience
- Understanding of system hardware architectures, design concepts and engineering development practices. Using various diagnostic tools, debug and trouble-shoot failing system down to board level and also boards down to component level. Characterize timing interface using scope, logic analyzers, TDR and various other equipment. Test, debug and bring-up proto boards
- Experiences with Allegro, Valor and other manufacturing tools used in the job
- Deep understanding of PCB fabrication and PCB assembly process and technology
- Proven track record to work in a team setting and multi-task
- Experience working on a switch/router product is a plus
- Good written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Design tools proficiency (Valor, schematic, CAD, other CAE tools)
- Deep understanding of the end-to-end process for optical and regular Printed Circuit Board Assembly
Who We Are
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re "old" (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do - you can’t put us in a box!
But "Digital Transformation" is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.