Suez-Na Plant Operator - Water in Prospect, New York
Regular / Permanent
WHO WE ARE
SUEZ in North America operates across all 50 states and Canada with 6,700 employees dedicated to environmental sustainability and smart and sustainable resource management. The company provides drinking water, wastewater and waste collection service to 6.4 million people on a daily basis; treats over 600 million gallons of water and over 450 million gallons of wastewater each day; delivers water treatment and advanced network solutions to 16,000 industrial and municipal sites; processes 55,000 tons of waste for recycling; and rehabilitates and maintains water assets for more than 4,000 municipal and industrial customers. The company is a subsidiary of Paris-based SUEZ.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
The incumbent will be
front-line for treatment of drinking water, responsible for treating water to
regulatory and client standards
Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities:
Operates plant following specific regulatory and contractual requirements
Operates valve and gates manually through local control centers as directed
Starts, stops, and operates pumps, engines, and other equipment including sodium hypochlorite facilities, filters, other chemical treatment facilities, and other process units as directed
Makes routine rounds of assigned process areas and records operating data, performing mathematical calculations
Performs necessary process control adjustments
Regulates rate of water flow within treatment facilities and adjusts filters as needed.
Regulates machines, chemical feed pumps, and maintainschemical crocks used for treatment
Reads and changes a variety of charts and meters
Keeps log sheets and prepares operating reports
Maintains proper water pressure and water storage levels as required
Participates in preventative maintenance and making minor repairs to mechanical equipment and reports major breakdowns to Assistant Plant Manager
Performs all forms of necessary house keeping; hosing/cleaning tanks and filters, sweeping floors, shoveling snow and light landscaping duties.
Performs sampling, analysis and data gathering to meet process control and compliance requirements
Monitors and assists with calibration and troubleshooting of operational equipment
Changes out and replenishes process chemical supplies as necessary; receives and off-loads chemical deliveries
Performs chemical tests as required
Informs management of process problems and mechanical defects
Commitment to health, safety and protection of the environment:The incumbent supports United Water’s commitment to safety by complying with the programs regarding health, safety and protection of the environment.The incumbent demonstrates safe work practices, takes part in safety meetings, and advises the Assistant Plant Manager of any non-conforming conditions.
addition, the following is a list of additional accountabilities for the
Complies with all organization safety procedures
Participates in continuous improvement programs
Participates on cross-functional teams
Performs other projects / tasks/ duties as assigned
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Special Skills/Abilities Needed :
· Ability to maintain, repair and adjust water pumps, chemical feed machines and other water plant equipment
· Ability to check the operation of equipment and to detect defects in operation
· Ability to take accurate readings
· Ability to keep records and to make arithmetical computations
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
Education and Experience Capabilities :
· Requires a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
· Valid drivers license
· Minimum possession of a Grade IIA Water System Operator Certification or the ability to obtain within one (1) year. All Water System Operator Certificates should be from the State of New York.
Must be able to respond to emergency calls as needed and work extended hours to accommodate Company needs, including coverage for other plant operators, as well as rotating shifts and ability to work nights.
In addition, the incumbent must demonstrate knowledge in the following:
· Knowledge of the proper methods of repairing, lubricating and maintaining mechanical equipment
· Knowledge of the principles, practices, equipment and methods used in water treatment, pumping, distribution, and storage tank operations
· Knowledge of the occupational hazards connected with water plant and related activities and of necessary safety precautions
· Knowledge of chemistry and analytical tests as applied to water treatment
· Computer applications as they relate to area assigned
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.