Nantucket Cottage Hospital Cook - Per Diem in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Per diem, rotating shifts
Prepares meat, soup, vegetables, sauces, desserts, and assorted other food items for all contract meals as determined by established procedures. Also assists with non-routine food services. Practices safe food handling techniques. Provides supervision to staff in the absence of department managers.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Prepares food in accordance with sanitary regulations and established infection control procedures.
- Reviews patient menus and production sheets prior to food preparation.
- Prepares meals in accordance with planned menus and recipes.
- Prepares and serves meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Holds hot foods in steam tables, and cold foods under refrigeration.
- Assures that meals are prepared and served on time; assisting inter-department personnel as may be required.
- Follows established portion control standards.
- Prepares food for therapeutic diets in accordance with planned menus and established procedures.
- Processes diet changes and new diets as received from the Nursing Department, Dietitian, or Physician.
- Fills out production sheets with all pertinent information before the end of each shift.
- Delivers meals to patients as may be required.
- Functions in MSA position as may be required.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate gas and electric cooking equipment, and kitchen utensils according to established procedures.
- Assists in food preparation, set-up, and breakdown for contract meals, in-house functions and outside catering as directed.
- Informs department manager of supply needs.
- Assures that a par level of stable foods is maintained at an adequate level at all times.
- Assists with inventory, and storage of incoming food, supplies, etc., as necessary.
- Maintains equipment, supplies, and work areas in a clean and organized manner. Performs daily or scheduled cleaning duties.
- Assists in maintaining the Food Service Department in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Attends department in-services, and special meetings.
- Participates in departmental studies and projects. Assists with department’s performance improvement activities.
- Works with departmental supervisory staff to implement recommended changes as required.
- Interprets with accuracy department and Hospital policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates an accurate understanding of HACCP. Assists chef with tracking and documentation. Practices HACCP principles in all aspects of food preparation.
- Develops and maintains rapport with Food Service Department personnel, to assure that services are maintained to meet the needs of the patient and/or customer.
- Develops and maintains rapport with other departments and health professionals within the facility and outside contracts or agencies to assure that services are maintained to meet the needs of the patient and/or customer.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Food Services Manager immediately and to WorkHub. Takes appropriate action in absence of supervisory staff.
- Reports all accidents/incidents as established by Hospital policy and procedure. Fills out and distributes reports.
- Answers department telephones providing routine information, taking messages, and/or referring call to appropriate party.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Process by which to place food orders.
- Must be able to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment to function unsupervised during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
- Ability to supervise co-workers and volunteers
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations.
- Ability to use a telephone and copier. Also uses ranges/ovens, steam tables, various utensils, whetstone, weight scales, mixers, food processors, chafing dishes, thermometers, dishwasher, blenders, slicers, manual cleaning equipment, griddle, flat top, toasters, microwave, broiler, etc.
- Ability to stand and walk constantly.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to bend, twist, crouch, squat, pull, push, reach, and remain stationary for short period of times and perform repetitive motions.
- Frequent bending, twisting, crouching, squatting, pulling, pushing, and reaching required, as well as the ability to remain stationary for long periods and perform repetitive motions
- Ability touse hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, taste, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
- Utilizegloves, safety glasses, and protective clothing (uniform).
_Credentials and Experience Required___
- High School Degree or GED required.
- Prior experience of at least 4 years in food service; cooking experience within the last 1 years.
- ServSafe Food Safety Certification required within 3 months of start date.
- Allergen Awareness Certification required within 3 months of start date.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Occasionally will fill in for other Cooks or MSA.
- Works holidays if shift falls on that day.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.Regular work week requiring minimal overtime. Weekend hours consistently required to accomplish job duties/responsibilities.
- May be exposed to the following hazards:Temperature fluctuations, fumes/smoke, noise, dust, cleaning chemicals, floors often wet, walk-in freezer is -10 degrees.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Cook - Per Diem
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3159125